Kinsman Road Extension
This scenic part of Wilsonville is home to varied wildlife, but is also one of the fastest-growing parts of the Portland metro area. Kinsman Road was extended to complete a truck route to the industrial/commercial area, in addition to providing for multimodal and wildlife access.
This project enhanced the corridor through the addition of safety features, such as street lighting, bike lanes, a multiuse path, and sidewalks. Wildlife crossings at key access points along the new construction provide passage for the area’s native animals and feature prominent warning signs to caution drivers.
- The project also included the first section of the Willamette Water Supply Program’s new water transmission line, which was installed at the same time as the roadway.
- Nearby powerlines required coordination with Bonneville Power Administration (BPA).
- The landscaped roundabout at the north end of the project accommodates large commercial and agricultural vehicles while also adding to the aesthetics of the area.
- The project created a vital north-south connection route for the City while enhancing economic development opportunities.
- Soft soils required innovative culvert foundation design.
- Existing underground utilities were protected in place while the new subsurface and roadway was built on top.